8 x good quality sausages, outdoor reared
1 x large apple, peeled and chopped
1 x red onion, diced
Short crust pastry
2 x tbsp. red onion chutney
1 x free-range egg, beaten
- If not using an AGA, preheat your oven to 220/200 degrees C/fan/gas mark 7
- Split the sausage skins along the sides with a sharp knife and press the meat out into a bowl.
- Add the peeled apple chunks and the diced onion and season. Mix it all together using clean hands
- Line a baking tray with Bake-O-Glide and lay out a sheet of short crust pastry.
- Imagine the sheet has a 5cm border around it and spread the red onion chutney inside this invisible border.
- Arrange your sausage meat in a roll down the centre of your pastry. Score the border diagonally down each long side, about 2.5cm apart, to create a chevron effect.
- Tuck in the top ends first and then bring the side strands up to the top to make the Plait effect. A dab of water on the ends of the pastry will help secure it.
- Use a pastry brush to glaze the sausage plait all over with the beaten egg.
- Place the baking tray on the floor of the roasting oven for about 30 minutes until the sausage is golden brown.