No Fuss Fruit Crumble – use apples or plums or both!
Fruit Crumble is one of the easiest desserts to make, it is also one of the most delicious puddings, especially when served with custard or cream
225g/8oz plain flour
115g/4oz butter (cold and cut into cubes)
115g/4oz Demerara sugar
60g/2oz rolled oats
½ tsp cinnamon
For the Filling
285g/ 10oz Damsons (these I had picked in September and were nestled longing to be used in my freezer…and I didn’t bother to faff around removing stones…prize to whoever has the most piled up at the end of pud)
4 large eating apples (cored and sliced with the skin on…again no faffing)
100g/3 ½ 0z caster sugar
- If you are not using an Aga then preheat your oven to 220C/400F/gas 6
- Place the frozen damsons in a bowl at the back of the Aga to defrost
- With your finger tips rub the butter into the flour, cinnamon and sugar until it resembles fine bread crumbs
- Stir in the oats
- In a large Emile Henry Aga Pie Dish place the fruit and sprinkle the sugar over the top
- Cover with the crumble mix
- Place crumble on a grid shelf on the floor of the Roasting oven and cook for about 30 minutes… or until topping is browning and the fruit is bubbling through
Feel free to substitute any fruit. Pear and ginger works really well as does apple and blackberry…just pile the fruit into the crumble dish. Never scrimp on the fruit…we love hearty puds!
Serve with cream, custard or creme fraiche.