Millionaires Short Bread – lovely and rich and rather sickly!
Without exception this is my daughters favourite. I can’t make it often as her teeth will fallout and she’ll become diabetic. Unfortunately however, she has taught herself to make these (really my kitchen is not my own any more…the only place I reign supreme is in the showroom kitchen at work) and will happily spend her pocket money on the ingredients.
This is her preferred recipe, she has exchanged dark chocolate for a little dark chocolate but mainly GALAXY, unsalted butter for salted and the pistachios/ walnuts are my addition that she has allowed to stay (big of her!)
I wish I had a fairy Godmother who would come along and sprinkle magical fairy dust creating a desire in me to only eat savoury, healthy, waist defining (or finding) wholesomely nourishing food. Granted I wouldn’t have this column anymore but I would be a size 12!
For the shortbread
225g plain flour
175g salted butter. Chilled and cut into cubes
50g caster sugar
For the topping
1 x 397g can of condensed milk (I had a condensed milk habit aged 14…might not be cured)
100g golden syrup
200g Galaxy chocolate
150g good quality dark chocolate
50g of pistachio or walnuts roughly chopped
- If not using an Aga preheat oven to 150C/Gas2.
- Set the chocolate in a bowl on the back of the Aga to gently melt…or if not using an Aga the melt using a bowl oven a pan of boiling water, making sure the bowl does not touch the water. But don’t do this until your toffee caramel topping is cooling on the shortbread in the fridge.
- Line a square tin ( 23 cm) with Bake-o-Glide or baking parchment.
- Using your finger-tips rub the cold, cubed butter into the flour until it resembles fine bread crumbs.
- Stir through the caster sugar.
- Tip the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it evenly. Press down firmly with the back of your fingers so that it is tightly packed.
- Bake the shortbread for 25/30 minutes in the baking oven. Grid shelf on the floor with cold plain shelf on the second set of runners above 2/3/4 oven Agas or on the top set of runners of the simmering oven after a brief spell (5 mins low down) in the roasting oven(2 oven) until golden brown.
- Set the shortbread aside to cool.
- For the topping: heat the butter, golden syrup and condensed milk gently in a pan on the simmering plate, stirring occasionally until all the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Move to the boiling plate and bring the mixture to the boil, stirring frequently. Be careful it can spit and burn you (like a fiery llama!) once at a rolling boil I would move it back to the simmering plate. The caramel will thicken and turn golden brown.
- Set aside to cool for a bit and then pour over the shortbread. Allow to cool completely and then pour over the melted chocolate.
- Sprinkle over the chopped nuts and put in the fridge to cool completely and set.
- Cut into (small) squares.
- Then find someone else to eat it all as it is completely addictive and you end up feeling sick after the 3rd slice!