lemon Roulade by Elley our resident Cook
lemon Roulade by Elley our resident cook
5 free-range eggs
1 unwaxed lemon
150g/5½ caster sugar
55g/2oz ground almonds
55g/2oz self-raising flour
300ml/10fl oz organic double cream
2 heaped tbsp of lemon curd (see Twyford Cookers website for recipe)
Icing sugar to finish METHOD
1. Line a large roasting tin with Bake-O-Glide.
2. Separate the eggs into different mixing bowls.
3. Grate the rind from the lemon and squeeze the juice.
4. Whisk the egg whites until stiff.
5. Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light and fluffy and then whisk in the grated lemon rind and juice.
6. Fold the almonds and flour into the mixture and then fold in the egg whites.
7. Pour into the baking tin, spread evenly and place in the baking oven on the lowest set of runners (3, 4 and 5-oven Agas) and bake for about 20 minutes. For a 2-oven Aga, hang on the lowest set of runners and slide the Cold Plain Shelf on the second set of runners above for about 15 minutes, until risen and golden.
8. Take the cake from the oven and turn it out onto a clean tea towel. Carefully peel off the Bake-O-Glide and gently roll the roulade in the tea towel and leave to cool completely.
9. When the roulade has cooled, whip up the cream. Unroll the roulade carefully and spread over the lemon curd then add a layer of whipped cream. Re-roll and chill for an hour before serving. 10. Decorate as you wish and dust with icing sugar.